UK Funeral Poverty Alliance
In September 2014, Quaker Social Action formed the Funeral Poverty Alliance, a network of not-for-profit organisations to campaign collectively against funeral poverty.
Members of the FPA work in collaboration to:
- Raise the profile of funeral poverty as a social justice issue requiring the attention of government decision makers.
- Raise the profile of funeral poverty as a consumer issue requiring the attention of the funeral industry.
- Grow the awareness and knowledge of people so they can avoid funeral poverty.
The Alliance believes that beyond the individual and family, society has a responsibility to ensure everyone has access to a meaningful, affordable funeral.
Our vision is a society where everyone has access to a funeral that
- is affordable, and doesn’t leave them facing financial hardship
- is meaningful to the person who has died and/ or those arranging the funeral
- allows people to grieve without further financial distress
Success of the Alliance
Since its inception the Alliance now has around 35 members including large national organisations like the Church of Scotland, the Church of Wales, Marie Curie and Cruse. The Alliance was instrumental in getting the Work and Pensions Select Committee to undertake an inquiry into funeral poverty and influencing the recommendations of this inquiry. The Alliance has also helped greatly with to promote the Fair Funerals pledge, which now has 15% of the funeral industry signed up.
Join the Alliance
If your not-for-profit organisation supports the aims and vision of the Alliance and would like to join, please get in touch
Call| 020 8983 5059
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org